Searching for Columbia - Day 3
Starting out later than usual we left for work at 7:45am to arrive at camp in time for the rain. It never did stop raining long enough for me to remember. We tromped through the mud and ate breakfast. We sat through a briefing of the Strike Team Leaders and Crew Bosses. It turned out to be pretty informative. It was the first time we got the big picture. We thought that we were going to start our training process thereafter, but we were told that were going to be new plans. We needed to have everyone move their tents out of the field because a strong windstorm (50 mph) was going to come through. After lunch we were told that the 2nd meeting was canceled and that the camp was going to be split into three sites because of the lack of space under shelter. We were released and came back to the motel to relax. Since we are all used to being active it was hard to sit and do nothing but we managed to pass the time. Kevin and I went out to grab a bite at a local diner. The conversation was good. I retired for the night after a welcome shower.
- Large storm coming in today, 4" rain with 50-60 mph winds
- Greg from Nacogdoches is coming out today
- 10am crew boss training
- Things to work on- keep crew moving after find and move crew at faster pace,
- Make sure we are upbeat and not critical
- Division Supervisors sign our time cards
- Maintain 75-95% POD
- Work hours are 0600-1800 Daily
- Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta Divisions
- 4/5 Strike teams/ division
- 2-crews/ strike team
- 1 crew boss/ crew
- 1 EMT/ group
- A-Dennis Monahan-Sarah
- B-Jim Gomez- Kevin
- C-Mark Von Tillo- Dan
- D-Tom McGuire- Herb
- CTR is turned in daily
- We are insured 12-hour days
- Pick up tiles and small pieces
- Declination in 6 degrees east
- Our structure is 1 SAR person/ division or group.
- There will be 1 NASA and 2 EPA personnel with each crew.
- Debris will first go to the crew boss then to the EPA then NASA.
- No outgoing radio comm. within 50 yards of un-searched area.
- No cell phones, or cameras in field.